A Quick Dive Into St. Louis Union Station History
The St. Louis Union Station, also known as SLUS, no longer serves eastbound and westbound passenger trains. It is America’s most important station and was built during America’s westward expansion. You can use it for entertainment and shopping. There are many cafes, restaurants, museums, and plays. You have two options: either you go on a tour, or you stay in a hotel.
It was built in the middle 1890s. It was constructed in the middle of the 1890s.
The shed was converted into an outdoor entertainment space that featured an aquarium, shop, and outdoor dining. It was a remarkable transformation. View of St. Louis Union Station in November 1977, right before Amtrak left.
A Brief Historical History of St. Louis Union Station
St. Louis is known as the “Gateway To The West” because of its position at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Frontier receives new lines every day. The Transcontinental Railroad has constructed just 20 years ago.
Iron Mountain & Southern Missouri Pacific
After the Civil War, St. Louis was America’s fourth-largest metropolitan area. It now ranks fourth in terms of size, just behind New York City or Philadelphia. Union Station is home to Missouri Pacific’s #11, the “Colorado Eagle”, train. Train #4, “The Limited”, will depart Union Station on April 17, 1963, from Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio E7A22102. It was a convenient way for westbound settlers and residents to get into the city. This was an important factor in the growth of the city. St. Louis was aware of the importance and desired a station that would connect to multiple stations in the city. The contest was open to all nationalities and included entries from Europe as well as the United States. Cameron and Link were chosen as the winners.
Brian Solomon’s Railroad Stations shows that Thomas C. Link (also known as Edward B. Cameron or French Romanesque style designer Edward B. Cameron) proposed a design that would reflect the city’s French heritage. Hans and April Halberstadt stated in their book, The American Train Depot & Roundhouse that the building evokes a majestic chateau on the Loire River. It is made of Missouri granite and has an unusual appearance. It is unique among Midwestern cities like Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis, which were built between 1878-1890. On April 16, 1963, the #4 train of Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, also known by the northbound “Limited”, left St. Louis Union Station bound for Chicago.
The clock tower, at 280 feet, was its most prominent exterior feature. It had towering Romanesque arches. Grand Hall had a 65-foot vaulted ceiling. It also featured stained-glass windows by Davis & Chambers St. Louis. The interior was divided into three sections. The Headhouse contained the Grand Hall. It featured mosaics/frescoes from Healy & Millet of St. Louis, along with gold leaf details and scagliola. It was 610 feet in length and 70 feet wide. It measured 610 feet long. It was 70ft wide and 610ft long. The 600-foot-wide Trainshed was designed by George H. Pegram. The Trainshed spanned almost 12 acres and featured 32 tracks. Wabash and MP founded the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis in 1889. It also featured 32 tracks. The Aloe Plaza, named after her, was built for $100,000 in 1940. Bronze statues mark the point where the Mississippi River meets with the Missouri River. Carl Milles, an artist from Sweden, designed these bronze statues. The station was capable of serving 31 railroad lines and 22 railways at its peak. Some of these railroads later joined the station. These are some of the most impressive trains to have ever traveled on TRRA’s rails.
B&O’s National Limited Diplomat & Diplomat.
Knickerbocker NYC, and Southwestern Limited
Missouri Pacific’s Missouri River Eagle. Missourian, Ozarker. Southerner. Sunflower. Sunshine Special
Abraham Lincoln, and Mobile
L&N’s Humming Bird
Pennsylvania’s Spirit Of St. Louis (joint enterprise with MP)
Names for all Wabash trains, including Bluebird and Wabash Cannonball
BNSF Rails and CSX Transportation continue using TRRA for freight transportation.
Missouri Pacific PA-2 #8033 departs St. Louis Union Station via “Texas Eagle”. (St. Louis, Texas).
The doors to the St. Louis Union Station were opened to the public on September 1, 1894. It cost $6.5 million to build and was a great success. It was the first American mall. It was located near Grand Hall. It has a bright, open feeling and is very airy. It was demolished after a mere ten-year period. It was rebuilt to accommodate many visitors who visited the city during the 1904 World’s Fair. It was renovated last in the 1940s. The interior was the main focus. As more people used highways and other airlines during the 1950s/60s, it began to decline.
Amtrak assumed control of all intercity railroad services in the United States on May 1, 1971. Union Station was the victim of three train crashes in its trainshed. The last train from Union Station was the Inter-American, which ran in Texas between Chicago and Laredo on October 31, 1978. Oppenheimer Properties bought the building for $5.5million. This was a significant change from the previous owners. The new owners immediately renovated the structure. Even though the structure didn’t have a train service, it was intended to be a popular entertainment venue. After a $150 million restoration, it was reopened to the public in August 1985. Saint Louis Union Station is much more beautiful than when it was railroad-owned. Because of its beautiful interior and newly renovated rooms, the station is a landmark for Saint Louis. There are more than 20 restaurants and specialty shops at the station. Major renovations were completed at the station in 2011. 2011 saw major renovations at the station. Tourists and visitors can now enjoy luxury accommodations. Metro Link still provides service, even though four tracks have been removed.